Username:    Password:    Remember me      : Forgot password?
Forums
Padfone Club :: Forums :: Padfone Forums :: Padfone General

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Compare Windows laptop to Padfone
Moderators: Marc Schattorie, ctys2ard, oroo708, JHS_NL, RaithK, allram
Author Post
stevegar
Sat Jul 14 2012, 11:30PM
Registered Member #36
This may be a stupid question/s 1. In laptop mode can I connect a printer (I've never printed off an Android device) just like with a windows laptop? 2. In laptop mode can I connect an LCD projector (RGB adaptor)? 3. In Laptop mode can I connect a usb flash drive and or an external USB hard drive (How many USB ports does it have)? 4. I assume there is no dvd drive, can I connect an external dvd drive through the usb port? 5. Can this device replace my windows laptop (Dell inspiron) if not what are the drawbacks? 6. What is a good price for the entire set unlocked?
7. I can't seem to find accessories for the padfone. eg.Pouch with belt clip, car dock etc.
SparkyRih
Sat Jul 14 2012, 11:47PM
Registered Member #2
1. Connecting a printer
I've never tried this, but I've read that there are some great apps that support a lot of printers, so the answer shoudl be yes... If I have some time I will try to connect some printers ot it, see if it works on the Padfone as well...

2. Connecting external displays
You can only connect external displays directly to the phone (so not in tablet or laptop mode) via a micro-hdmi cable, I guess micro-hdmi to vga cables do exists...

3. USB flash drives and HDD's
Both are no problem at all...

4. External DVD
This is an interesting one, I don't know the answer to this one, I'm sorry...

5. Can it replace a laptop
This depends on yourself I guess... the tf101 is pretty much the same thing as the Padfone (and the tf101 is slower than the Padfone in my experience), but the tf101 did manage to replace my HP ProBook 4510s completley in college...

6. What is a good price for the entire set unlocked?
Full set, 16GB version, around 749 shoulld be fine imo...

And for your last question about the accessories, the Padfone is a fairly new device, so there are no special accessories for it yet...

I hope this answers the biggest part of your questions...
ctys2ard
Sun Jul 15 2012, 06:29AM

Registered Member #3
i think it all depends on what you use your device for. if you use it mainly for browsing and microsoft office, tablet with a dock like Asus transformers/padfone is the new way to go. it's light (as in hardware demand...not physical weight), fast and easy to use. In fact browsing experience on tablet is a lot better than desktops/laptops with touch screens.
Microsoft office docs/slide processing on android tablet is 99% identical to desktops/laptops now with virtual desktops. what else can one ask for?
Like Sparykrih said, there are a lot of apps out there that could try and match the laptops. I wouldn't say it's 100% but we are moving slowly towards there.
Generally, it all depends on your usage. If you are looking for 100% laptop replacement, the general answer is no. But if you are asking for something that matches laptop, I would say yes, it's he right device to go.

hope this helps
stevegar
Sun Jul 15 2012, 08:36PM
Registered Member #36
Thank you both for your speedy and informative replies. I posted on about 4 different forums because I didn't believe that i would actually get a reply. Within a couple of minutes you gave an insightful response. If I have any more question I know where to turn. Thank you
SparkyRih
Sun Jul 15 2012, 08:54PM
Registered Member #2
You're very welcome....

That's why we started this community, please spread the word on those other forums

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF